Monday, December 25, 2006

My mum gave a cold joke today

My mum seldom jokes, and trust me, when she does, it is akin to striking lottery *grins* . Earlier, my aunt came over our house and joined us for dinner. As usual, we will gather in front of the goggle box after dinner to chat about everything and anything.

Moments later, I came out of my room holding onto samples of The Body Shop products and introduced the Strawberry Body Butter to my aunt. She is a simple and n0-frills person and seldom pampers herself with bodycare products that are expensive. To her, products from The Body Shop are considered 'expensive'. I explained to her in Mnadarin on what the body butter was and the application method. So, when my mum heard that the butter contained strawberry seed oil (as indicated on the label), she jokingly said, "Wah! That will be sweet smelling right? Would it attract the ants at night when she sleeps? What if an army of ants move her from her bed?!" For a couple of seconds, I was dumbfounded and then I burst into boisterous laughter. My mum and aunt were already laughing away, almost with tears and in their eyes. I mean, if you know my mum as much as I do, she seldom jokes...and this is really a classic moment! *giggles*. I told her, "Ma, you really said a 'cold joke'(冷笑话)" She just grinned from ear to ear...

I really love my mum for who she is...sometimes we bicker and go through thunderous arguments. I even shout at her (come on, before you judge me, do you admit that you have NEVER shouted at your parents?) but she doesn't shout back unless she cannot take it. You know, we behave the worst in front of our family members and very close friends. However, we are at our best behaviour in front of strangers and friends. To me, she is the best mum I can ever ask for. It ain't easy for a woman of her times to be a single mum and raise her daughter all the way to university. Though she does not have high educational qualifications and special skills, she persevered and worked really hard. Somehow I can go on and on about her..shall do that in the next blog entry...=)

*listening to: 'Feelin' So Good' by Olivia Ong

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home